The Program | Goals | Eligibility | The Facts | Service Area
Hartford HealthCare at Home provides you with the ability to recover in the comfort and safety of your own home, rather than a skilled nursing facility.
What kind of care can patients expect from HHC at Home's Intensive Home Rehabilitation Program?
- Physical therapy up to six days per week and occupational therapy up to three days per week, for the first two weeks (depending on patient need)
- Home exercise program tailored to the patient’s functional level and speed of recovery
- Nursing visits for post-surgical care and education on medication management
- Home health aide assistance, according to functional need
Our programs and services are covered by Medicare. Your home care representative will be happy to answer any questions regarding insurance eligibility.
Back to Top
Helping patients recover from joint replacement surgery at home.
After you’ve had joint replacement surgery, a rehabilitation therapy program that’s been prescribed by your doctor can help you get the best benefit from your surgery. With Hartford HealthCare at Home’s Orthopedic Intensive Home Rehabilitation Program, you can gain the strength and range of motion needed to resume normal daily activities as quickly and comfortably as possible.
Continuing Your Recovery at Home
Our Orthopedic Intensive Home Rehabilitation Program helps you get on the right path toward your pre-surgery activity level as quickly as possible. In the weeks following surgery, we provide you with the treatment you need to regain your previous strength and range of motion, while minimizing your risk of further injury and illness.
What You Can Expect
During your first visit, your nurse or rehabilitation therapist will explain your plan of care, including other professionals that will be a part of your home care team and how often they will be visiting.
Your physical therapist's first visit will focus on:
- Evaluating your ability to walk, getting you out of bed and moving your extremities.
- Making recommendations regarding safety in your home to decrease the risk of falls.
- Establishing your physical therapy treatment plan and creating goals specific to your needs.
- The physical therapist will visit up to six times a week for the first two weeks; as you progress you may receive visits up to three times a week for the next two to three weeks (depending on patient need).
- The number of therapy visits you will receive depends on how quickly your progress enables you to leave your home safely.
- Therapy visits will last 30 to 45 minutes.
Back to Top
Who is a candidate for Hartford HealthCare at Home's Orthopedic Intensive Home Rehabilitation Program?
A patient recovering from knee or hip replacement who meets the following criteria:
- Has had a unilateral hip or knee replacement
- Would qualify for intensive in-home rehab in lieu of inpatient rehab
- Has some caregiver support in the home or caregiver can be at the patient's home within one hour
- Is otherwise healthy enough to complete a daily physical therapy and occupational therapy program
- Has one full flight of stairs or less to enter the home and safety confirmed after the physical therapy evaluation in the hospital
- Has a caregiver who can participate in bedside physical therapy training prior to discharge from the hospital
Back to Top
Back to Top